Seahawks QB Wilson: ‘Hey Seattle, we got a deal’

Seahawks QB Wilson: ‘Hey Seattle, we got a deal’

https://es.pn/2IkaCbP

The Seattle Seahawks and Russell Wilson have agreed to terms on an extension, the quarterback said in a video posted Tuesday morning to Twitter after midnight PT.

“Hey Seattle, we got a deal,” Wilson said in the video.

The deal was apparently finished after four days of negotiations between the Seahawks and Wilson’s agent, Mark Rodgers, who arrived at the team’s headquarters Friday.

It keeps Wilson, a five-time Pro Bowler and the quarterback of the only Super Bowl-winning team in Seahawks history. And it avoids the messy route of Wilson going year-to-year on the franchise tag, which would have paved the way for an eventual divorce.

The 30-year-old Wilson was set to make $17 million in 2019, the final season of the four-year, $87.6 million extension he signed in the summer of 2015. His side had given the Seahawks a deadline of midnight Monday for a new contract, and according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, did not intend to revisit negotiations this year if there wasn’t a deal by that point.

Wilson had said at the end of last season that he would be comfortable going into the final year of his current deal if need be.

“Oh yeah, if that’s what I’ve got to do,” Wilson said. “It’s business and everything. I know essentially after the season, I could potentially be a free agent, that kind of thing. I don’t think that way. I see myself being in Seattle. I love Seattle, and it’s a special place for me.”

Coach Pete Carroll, also speaking at the end of the season, said a Wilson extension was “very much in our plans.” More recently, he said at the NFL’s annual meetings last month that the two sides were “on it” in terms of a potential Wilson extension without elaborating. But when the deadline was first reported in early April and especially as midnight Monday drew nearer, there was no indication of whether or not they would come to an agreement.

Despite the uncertainty over his contract negotiations, Wilson was present for the start of the team’s voluntary offseason program on Monday as his agent and the Seahawks continued to meet.

Wilson’s 2015 extension averaged $21.9 million, which at the time made him the second-highest-paid quarterback in terms of annual average below Rodgers at $22 million. Wilson had fallen all the way to 12th on that list before his latest extension put him at the top.

With Wilson taken care of, the Seahawks can then their attention after the draft to potential extensions for All-Pro middle linebacker Bobby Wagner and Frank Clark, the team’s top pass-rusher. However, it will be no easy task to extend both of them given how much money they’re now paying Wilson and the fact that Wagner’s and Clark’s extensions would be near or at the top of the market for their positions. Clark has been the subject of trade rumors and has yet to sign his $17.128 million franchise tag.

Wilson is coming off arguably the best season of his seven-year career. He edged his previous career bests with 35 touchdown passes and a 110.9 passer rating while tying his career low of seven interceptions. Wilson did that on 427 attempts, his fewest since 2013, as the Seahawks operated one of the league’s most run-heavy offenses. Only Drew Brees and Patrick Mahomes finished with a better rating than Wilson’s 110.9, which also established a new career-high.

NFL News

via http://www.espn.com – NFL http://www.espn.com

April 16, 2019 at 01:16AM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s