Pep Guardiola takes swipe at Jadon Sancho: ‘He didn’t want the challenge’

Pep Guardiola takes swipe at Jadon Sancho: ‘He didn’t want the challenge’

https://ift.tt/2O7balc

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has today spoken out over former Citizens’ youngster Jadon Sancho’s departure from the club.

Sancho’s meteoric rise

18-year-old winger Sancho has been one of the talking points of European football this season.

The English youngster, who made the move to Borussia Dortmund from Man City last summer for £8 million, has built on the potential that he showcased at the Westfalenstadion last season with a string of sensational displays to this point in the current campaign.

The pace, trickery, eye for goal and overall flair possessed by Sancho have seen him rise from relative unknown this time last year to one of world football’s most highly-regarded young players.

All told, thus far this season, the blistering wide-man has racked up 9 goals and 11 assists across all competitions.

In addition, he was named the Bundesliga Player of the Month for October, and has already been handed 3 senior caps by England, despite having only turned 18 in March.

‘Didn’t want to take this challenge’

As such, Sancho’s stellar form in Germany has inevitably seen the teen linked with a potential return to the Premier League.

The likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal have all been named as expressing an interest in the Dortmund starlet, with suggestions having also circulated that Sancho could make a surprise return to the Etihad with Man City.

Dean Jones of the Bleacher Report insisted back in October that the English champions hold first-option on their former prodigy, in the case that Dortmund decide the time has come to part ways with Sancho.

DORTMUND, GERMANY – FEBRUARY 09: Jadon Sancho of Dortmund hits the post during the Bundesliga match between Borussia Dortmund and TSG 1899 Hoffenheim at Signal Iduna Park on February 09, 2019 in Dortmund, Germany. (Photo by Lars Baron/Bongarts/Getty Images)

In addition, the player himself is said to be ‘open’ to such a possibility.

However, the comments of Pep Guardiola this morning are unlikely to do the Citizens’ future prospects of bringing Sancho back to the club much good, after the Spanish tactician suggested that the wide-man departed Manchester due to his unwillingness to fight for his place in the club’s first-team setup:

‘I don’t know. He didn’t want to take this challenge, this opportunity to discover if he was able to.’

Guardiola continued:

‘He decided to go there. So, it’s perfect. It’s going well and congratulations on what he is doing.’

‘He is doing an incredible performance. He did it incredibly well this season. What would have happened this season [at City]? I don’t know.’

‘Again, with the players, it depends on them and what they do on the pitch.’

Quotes via Goal.com

Official: Bernardo Silva signs Manchester City contract extension

Potential ramifications if Premier League clubs win Champions League & Europa League

Soccer News

via 101 Great Goals https://ift.tt/1wnyP0o

March 16, 2019 at 03:49AM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s