Adrian Peterson practices, gets praised by his coach

Adrian Peterson practices, gets praised by his coach

https://ift.tt/2P75ivm


Adrian Peterson practices, gets praised by his coach


Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2018, 5:49 PM EDT






Getty Images




The biggest game of the year, so far, is looming for Washington. And their newest weapon could be moving toward playing again despite injury.

Running back Adrian Peterson participated in practice on a limited basis. He has shoulder and ankle injuries.

Meanwhile, his latest head coach reflected on the impact Peterson has made in his relatively short time in D.C.

“We didn’t expect a whole lot because we didn’t have him on our team until not too long ago,” Jay Gruden told reporters on Thursday. “But I think when you get a Hall of Fame-type guy like that, you’re not sure what to expect. You’re not sure what type of attitude he’s going to have. Is he going to be, ‘I’m better than everybody type guy?’ But he’s not. He’s a great guy. He works hard. But the thing I’m most impressed with is how he’s played with the pain and fought through it. I told him, ‘I had a lot for respect for you before we got you, but now it’s off the charts,’ as far as how much we respect him as a player and as a person for what he’s going through right now. It’s just a great tribute to him as far as his work ethic and dedication to the game.”

Peterson has been fighting through a painful shoulder dislocation to practice and to play. He had 17 carries in Week Six, and he told PFT after the 23-17 win over Carolina that he was experiencing the pain of the injury on every attempt. He’s aware that he’s much closer to the end than the beginning, and he wants to take full advantage of every opportunity he has to add to a career that will land in Canton five years after he’s done playing — whenever that may be.



NFL News

via ProFootballTalk https://ift.tt/1ha5gZY

October 18, 2018 at 02:51PM

Advertisements

Stephen Dobbie: Scotland call-up ‘maybe not best option’ for Alex McLeish

Stephen Dobbie: Scotland call-up ‘maybe not best option’ for Alex McLeish

https://ift.tt/2CS2cFH

Stephen Dobbie (right) is in his second spell with Queen of the South

Stephen Dobbie thinks it is unrealistic to expect a “dream” Scotland call-up despite the veteran striker remaining Europe’s top marksman this season.

Dobbie has scored 24 times in 16 appearances for Queen of the South.

And it has led to a clamour on social media from fans urging Alex McLeish to hand the 35-year-old a first cap.

“For Alex McLeish to bring someone in from the Championship would maybe not be the best option – especially at my age,” Dobbie told Sportsound.

BBC Scotland last month highlighted statistics showing that Dobbie had a strike rate better than Paris St-Germain’s Kylian Mbappe, Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Chelsea’s Eden Hazard.

“I think they’re playing a different game from what I’m playing,” he said while admitting it “would have been a dream” to play for Scotland.

‘No point’ in playing in Premiership

Dobbie last played in the top flight for Crystal Palace in 2013

Dobbie has played in the top flight in Scotland and England during a career that has taken him from Rangers to Hibernian, St Johnstone, Dumbarton, Swansea City, Blackpool, Brighton & Hove Albion, Crystal Palace, Fleetwood Town and Bolton Wanderers before his current second spell at Palmerston Park.

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers, who was his manager with Swansea, is among those who, in recent weeks, have suggested that Dobbie could still be playing in the top flight.

“I’ve done it before,” he said. “But to go somewhere where I might not be 100% happy with football life and family life, there’s no point.”

Dumfries is handy for commuting, with Dobbie still living in northern England, where he last played under Neil Lennon.

“It came about because I was at Bolton under Lenny and I wasn’t really playing as much as I would have liked,” he said.

“I was nearly 33 at the time and I kind of thought to myself ‘what’s the point? Why play for a team where I might play one game and not the next?’.

“I got the chance to go back to Queen of the South – the club that gave me the springboard to my career.

“I went for a year and just started loving it again and it’s just kicked on from there.”

Dobbie admits there were times when he relied on his eye for goal rather than hard work.

“When I was a bit younger, it was one of the reasons why I didn’t get myself fit because I was still scoring goals,” he added.

“I had gone to Dumbarton and saw the part-time players coming in from their work and I thought I had to give myself a shock because I believed I could play higher.

“In my last season with Queen of the South I managed to get myself 24 goals and ended up getting a move to Swansea, so it was well worth all the work I put in.”

‘No doubt’ Dobbie could play for Scotland – analysis

St Mirren chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick

“I’ve seen Stephen quite a bit and he’s one of the best finishers I’ve ever witnessed in the game and I’ve been in the game a long time.

“I know people talk about this age thing, but why not where Scotland are the now in these important games coming up? There’s no doubt he can play at that level.”

Soccer News

via BBC Sport – Football https://ift.tt/OHg7x6

October 18, 2018 at 02:45PM

Saints place Ted Ginn on IR

Saints place Ted Ginn on IR

https://ift.tt/2CRKmTi


Saints place Ted Ginn on IR


Posted by Josh Alper on October 18, 2018, 5:44 PM EDT





Getty Images




The Saints will return from their bye week to face the Ravens this Sunday without wide receiver Ted Ginn in the lineup.

The NFL’s daily transaction report brings word that the Saints have placed Ginn on injured reserve. Ginn has been sidelined by a knee injury recently and will be shut down for at least the next eight weeks while he recovers.

Ginn did not play in Week Five because of the injury. He had 12 catches for 135 yards and two touchdowns in four games before getting hurt.

Third-round pick Tre’Quan Smith got the start in Ginn’s place in Week Five and caught three passes for 111 yards and two touchdowns. One of those touchdowns was the pass that allowed Drew Brees to move into first place on the NFL’s all-time passing yards list and Smith should have plenty of chances to keep adding to Brees’ career totals with Ginn out of the lineup.














NFL News

via ProFootballTalk https://ift.tt/2CkCuoB

October 18, 2018 at 02:45PM

Terrance Williams suspended three games

Terrance Williams suspended three games

https://ift.tt/2CRJ6j2


Terrance Williams suspended three games


Posted by Charean Williams on October 18, 2018, 5:34 PM EDT





Getty Images




The NFL announced it has suspended Cowboys receiver Terrance Williams for three games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Williams can return to the team Nov. 12 following the Cowboys’ game against the Eagles.

Frisco, Texas, police arrested Williams for public intoxication in May after he crashed his Lamborghini into a light pole and fled the scene. The charges against him were dismissed in August after he completed a state-mandated Alcohol Awareness Education course.

Williams, 29, has not played since Week Three and has missed several practices while dealing with personal issues.

Yet, he is the Cowboys’ most expensive wideout, counting $4.75 million against their salary cap.



NFL News

via ProFootballTalk https://ift.tt/2CkCuoB

October 18, 2018 at 02:39PM

Source: Cowboys WR Williams suspended 3 games

Source: Cowboys WR Williams suspended 3 games

https://ift.tt/2pYMj7V

FRISCO, Texas – Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrance Williams has been suspended three games, according to ESPN’s Field Yates.

A source said the penalty falls under the NFL’s substance abuse policy stemming from a summer intoxication arrest.

The Cowboys placed Williams on injured reserve on Oct. 6 in part because of a foot injury that required surgery earlier in the offseason.

In August, Williams had a misdemeanor public intoxication charge dismissed after he attended an alcohol-awareness education course and paid Frisco, Texas, for property damages caused when Williams’ Lamborghini knocked over a light pole in May.

In training camp, executive vice president Stephen Jones said he did not believe Williams would be punished by the league but a player does not need to be found guilty in the legal system to face league discipline.

Williams is in the second year of a four-year, $17 million deal he signed in 2017. He had two catches for 18 yards in the first three games and played only 39 snaps. He is eligible to return to game action off injured reserve on Dec. 9 at Philadelphia. He can serve suspension while on injured reserve.

Because he was suspended under the substance abuse policy he can still remain around the team while serving the suspension.

.

NFL News

via http://www.espn.com – NFL http://www.espn.com

October 18, 2018 at 02:31PM

Rodgers: ‘Touching’ to see Jets players’ support

Rodgers: ‘Touching’ to see Jets players’ support

https://ift.tt/2CQRXkV

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — New York Jets defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers walked into the interview room Thursday for his weekly news conference, stepped behind the podium and flashed a big smile.

“Did y’all miss me?” he asked.

Rodgers was away from the team for more than a week as he addressed an undisclosed health issue. He declined to discuss the specifics, except to say he underwent a procedure and waited a week for the results, which were negative.

Rodgers, 49, who made a surprise visit to the locker room before last Sunday’s home game, is back in a full-time coaching role. He was blown away by the outpouring of support he received during the ordeal.

“I got a lot of texts from all the guys,” said. “What’s kind of ironic is, I coach the defense, but I had just as many offensive guys reaching out. Walking in the locker room (on Sunday) and seeing the guys, it’s just good to be back, it really is. Sometimes you take for granted what it is to be around the guys and be with them every day, and the family unit it becomes.”

Rodgers said the “whole experience has been kind of “weird,” but “the worst part” was watching the team’s Week 5 win from his couch at home. He called it “a hard, hard feeling,” but he was comforted by messages from colleagues from across the NFL.

“It’s kind of strange when I’m looking at my phone and getting texts from guys I know are in the locker room getting ready for another game,” he said. “(They were) reaching out: ‘We just heard about you … We’re praying for you.’

“It was really touching … touching. I’ve been coaching for 26 years. (I got) numerous texts, everybody reaching out. They’ve got to concentrate on the game and they were thinking about me. It was truly touching.”

Rodgers spent some time in the office last week, doing busy work. He wasn’t around the players. On Sunday, before their win over the Indianapolis Colts, he mingled with players in the locker room. Afterward, many said they were inspired by Rodgers and played for him.

“That’s priceless,” he said.

Rodgers downplayed his medical scare, saying his biggest concern was being a distraction to the team. Those close to him, however, were deeply worried. Coach Todd Bowles, a close friend, was visibly shaken when he first announced to the media that Rodgers was battling a “serious” health issue.

Rodgers said he’s “feeling a lot better,” though it’s unclear if he will return to his role as the defensive play-caller Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings. He and Bowles will make that determination Friday or Saturday. Bowles called the defense in wins over the Colts and Denver Broncos.

“I was like, ‘Dang, I need to stay away more often,'” Rodgers said with a big laugh.

NFL News

via http://www.espn.com – NFL http://www.espn.com

October 18, 2018 at 02:24PM

Mauricio Pochettino insists Spurs have no regrets over summer transfer window

Mauricio Pochettino insists Spurs have no regrets over summer transfer window

https://ift.tt/2pZ13Un



Mauricio Pochettino during Tottenham vs Barcelona

Mauricio Pochettino insists Spurs have no regrets over summer transfer window







Pochettino living with no regrets

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has insisted that he and the club have no regrets over failing to sign a single player in the summer transfer window.

Spurs became the first side in the Premier League era to not sign a single player in a transfer window.

Meanwhile, their rivals spent heavily yet again, as did several clubs down the table such as Wolves, West Ham and Fulham.

Now, Pochettino has been speaking about their failure to sign a player.

(Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)

‘We have no regrets, we are happy’

He has claimed that he is happy with his squad and has no regrets over how the summer window panned out.



“It was difficult to achieve the player we needed,” he explained, as quoted by football.london. 

“I was happy and am happy with the squad that I have, 25 players.

“We have no regrets, we are happy.

“When we started the season with three games that we won and we were top of the table people were talking in a different way, ‘Oh how clever are Tottenham because they keep all the squad from last season’.

“After we lost some games all the alarms started to make a big impact in the perception.”



Poch isn’t surprised with Fulham spending

Pochettino was also asked about other teams and their spending.

West Ham, Fulham, Wolves and more heavily invested in their playing staff in the summer.

“I am not surprised, in England you have teams like Fulham who spend more than West Ham, different type of club the possibility to sign because it is so healthy the financial in the Premier League,” he said.

“When the club can invest it is good for clubs. And the clubs that need to improve and want to improve and do better than last seen then they need to invest and add quality to their squad.”

See also: West Ham vs Spurs injury news: Double boost for Tottenham & Pellegrini on Arnautovic

Arsenal & Spurs want to sign Hector Herrera on a free










Soccer News

via 101 Great Goals https://ift.tt/1wnyP0o

October 18, 2018 at 02:28PM