2018 MLS Mock Draft: 1st-Round Predictions and Full Selection Order
The 2018 MLS SuperDraft is almost upon us, with Rounds 1 and 2 scheduled to take place in Philadelphia on Friday.
Expansion team Los Angeles FC will have the first pick, followed by neighbours LA Galaxy and then D.C. United.
Read on for a first-round mock draft and a look at some of the key players set to be involved.
2018 MLS SuperDraft Mock Selections
1. Los Angeles FC: Tomas Hilliard-Arce, D, Stanford
2. LA Galaxy: Joao Moutinho, D, Akron
3. D.C. United: Francis Atuahene, M, Michigan
4. Montreal Impact: Ema Twumasi, M, Wake Forest
5. Minnesota United: Chris Mueller, F, Wisconsin
6. Orlando City: Mason Toye, F, Indiana
7. Montreal Impact: Tristan Blackmon, D, Pacific
8. New England Revolution: Mo Adams, M, Syracuse
9. New England Revolution: Jon Gallagher, F, Notre Dame
10. Real Salt Lake: Jon Bakero, M, Wake Forest
11. FC Dallas: Justin Fiddes, D, Washington
12. San Jose Earthquakes: Alan Winn, F, North Carolina
13. Sporting Kansas City: Danny Musovski, F, UNLV
14. Atlanta United FC: Albert Ruiz, F, Florida Gulf Coast
15. Chicago Fire: Ken Krolicki, M, Michigan State
16. New York Red Bulls: Brian White, M, Duke
17. Vancouver Whitecaps: Gordon Wild, F, Maryland
18. Sporting Kansas City: Wyatt Omsberg, D, Dartmouth
19. New York City FC: Drew Skundrich, M, Stanford
20. Houston Dynamo: Ben Lundgaard, G, Virginia Tech
21. Columbus Crew: Chris Lema, M, Georgetown
22. Seattle Sounders: Marcelo Acuna, F, Virginia Tech
23. Toronto FC: Oliver Shannon, M, Clemson
Here’s a look at the draft order in the second round:
MLS SuperDraft 2nd-Round Order
24. Los Angeles FC
25. Colorado Rapids
26. Vancouver Whitecaps
27. Colorado Rapids
28. Minnesota United FC
29. FC Dallas
30. San Jose Earthquakes
31. New York Red Bulls
32. Columbus Crew
33. Real Salt Lake
34. FC Dallas
35. San Jose Earthquakes
36. Atlanta United FC
37. Montreal Impact
38. Chicago Fire
39. New York Red Bulls
40. LA Galaxy
41. Minnesota United
42. New York City FC
43. Houston Dynamo
44. Columbus Crew
45. Seattle Sounders
46. Toronto FC
Centre-back Tomas Hilliard-Arce looks set to be this year’s No. 1 overall pick in the MLS SuperDraft.
He won a third consecutive NCAA national championship with Stanford in December and looks to be one of the most talented players, and complete defenders, available.
Per Dave Zeitlin of MLSSoccer.com, Hilliard-Arce is convinced he has what it takes to make it in the professional ranks but was diplomatic about where he might end up after Stanford’s 1-0 extra-time victory over Indiana in the championship game:
"It would obviously mean a lot [to be No. 1 pick]. That’s something that’s special to whoever gets that. But, at the same time, I’m just ready to be in a city that wants to have me.
"I think any team looking to add me to their organisation should hopefully see someone who’s a leader, someone who has that competitive edge, someone who’s a winner. I think that’s something I can bring to any organisation, no matter the style of play."
See the video below for a glimpse at what Hilliard-Arce can do:
Other young stars who look set to be picked early in the draft are Akron university defender Joao Moutinho—a former member of Sporting CP’s famed academy—and Wisconsin forward Chris Mueller.
Centre-back Moutinho will likely be much sought-after given he is comfortable with the ball at his feet—so much so he has been tipped widely as a future defensive midfielder. Per Goal’s Ives Galarcep, the Akron star has also been backed to become a left-back at professional level.
But rather than his versatility, it is his technique and composure that make him such an exciting prospect and a potential future star in MLS.
Mueller, meanwhile, enjoyed a stellar 2017, as he became the first player in over a decade to provide 20 assists in a single college season. He set up 20 goals in just 21 appearances, per NCAA.com.
He has the versatility to play anywhere across the front line and looks to have more than enough ability to be a superb playmaker or winger in MLS.
Breaking Sports News
via Bleacher Report – Front Page http://ift.tt/yO6Sgr
January 13, 2018 at 05:11AM